This page contains a variety of international disability resources that you may find useful. The links are divided into headings if that helps you jump through the page.
Also check out my other links pages in the menu bar, as well as:
- My posts & videos about my own disability.
- My favourite videos by others on aniridia & nystagmus, sight loss & disability.
- Holly’s list of resources for blind and visually impaired people.
Aniridia & Nystagmus
The related UK resources may also be useful if you’re affected by these conditions.
- Aniridic Family Support Group – Facebook
- Aniridia Day – Website / Twitter / Facebook
- Aniridia Europe – Website / Facebook / Twitter
- Aniridia Foundation International – Website / Facebook / Twitter
- Aniridia Foundation Canada – Website / Twitter
- Aniridia Egypt – Website / Facebook
- Aniridia Russia – Website / Facebook
- WAGR Syndrome International Association – Website
- Nystagmus Network USA – Website / Facebook
- Aniridia & Nystagmus Videos Playlist
USA & Canada
News & Media
- Ability Magazine – “The leading publication for health, disability and human potential. Strives to change public perception of what it means to have a disability and focuses on ability.”
- Accessible Media Inc. – “Not-for-profit media company that entertains, informs and empowers Canadians who are blind or partially sighted. Operating three broadcast services, AMI-tv and AMI-audio in English and AMI-télé in French, AMI’s vision is to establish and support a voice for Canadians with disabilities.”
- Disability Today Network – “People, Partners, Products and Places. The Network – connects today’s disability community in a new way.”
- Disabled World – “We publish news articles and information received from disability related organizations and Government departments around the world that are of interest to persons with disabilities, carers, and the general public.”
Sight Loss Resources
- American Foundation for the Blind – “The mission is to create a world of no limits for people who are blind or visually impaired. We mobilize leaders, advance understanding, and champion impactful policies and practices using research and data.”
- Audio Description Project – “Our mission is to promote and advocate for the use of high-quality Audio Description in television, movies, performing arts, museums, educational materials and other venues.”
- Audio Description Associates – “Provides recorded tours for museum exhibits, training for professional describers, guides and librarians, and description for live and recorded events and television.”
- Low Vision Internet Gateway – “Your starting point to access information on the World Wide Web related to the fields of low vision rehabilitation and blindness.” Submitted by Natalie from Forever Curious.
- National Federation Of The Blind – “The ultimate purpose of the National Federation of the Blind is the complete integration of the blind into society on a basis of equality.”
- Resources for Travellers With a Vision Impairment – A comprehensive list of resources to help visually impaired travellers and their companions with planning travel, understanding your rights, travel tips, etc. Many links are to American sites, but there are some UK sites listed too. Submitted by Andrea from Upgraded Points.
- San Diego Center For The Blind – “Our mission is to help any adult with blindness or vision impairment to reach their highest level of independence. This is achieved by offering psychological counseling, training and rehabilitation, and community education and outreach programs.”
- Telephone Reader Program App – “Allows qualified patrons who are blind or visually impaired in the Southern California area to sign up for free telephone access to national and local news, advertisements, magazines, Old Time Radio Shows and so much more in both English and Spanish.”
- Cool Blind Tech – “Your source for the best assistive tech news, reviews and interviews from top blind and low vision experts. an entertaining and trustworthy discussion on emerging technologies.”
- Enabling The Future – “The e-NABLE Community is an amazing group of individuals from all over the world who are using their 3D printers to create free 3D printed hands and arms for those in need of an upper limb assistive device.”
- Simple Laces – “Easy and simple to install, fasten and unfasten without knots, twists or extra hardware and will fit in any shoe that has eyelets, holes or loops. It only takes one finger to fasten and unfasten. Ideal for people who have short or long term injuiries or disabilities that hinder their ability to fasten current lacing systems.”
- U-R-Able – “Simple to use and maintain for those with adjusted abilities, our products are designed and developed by blind workers for blind workers, and are embraced by industries where quality, productivity, and timeliness are the top business demands.”
- A Group For Me – “Connect to others sharing the same medical issues or life concerns for scheduled support groups online.” Submitted by Dr. Gina Ghods, Press Officer of the company.
- Cerebral Palsy Group – “We are here to provide information and support so that we may help provide resources and education to those affected by cerebral palsy..” Submitted by Alison, the Advocacy Director of the group.
- Cleaner Indoor Air – “There are millions of Americans who report allergic, immunologic, asthmatic and neurological reactions to perfumes, colognes, chemicals and synthetic fragrances. The CIA Campaign strives to educate medical facilities, businesses and churches on how to create a less threatening environment for this growing number of people.” Submitted by Natalie from Forever Curious.
- Different With Dignity – “We empower students and professionals to promote diversity and unity throughout the world. This includes providing digital resources to educate people about the disabled.” Submitted by Cassandra from the organisation.
- Disability Advocates of Kent County – “Works alongside people with disabilities as they seek to lead self-directed lives and to advocate for accessible and welcoming communities.”
- Invisible Disabilities Organization – “We are passionate about providing awareness that invisible illness, pain and disabilities are very real! Our mission is to encourage, educate and connect people and organizations touched by illness, pain and disability around the globe.”
- National Organization For Rare Disorders – “Patient advocacy organization dedicated to individuals with rare diseases and the organizations that serve them. Committed to the identification, treatment, and cure of rare disorders.”
- Addiction Treatment For Individuals with Disabilities – Information on the dangers of substance abuse and the risks for disabled people, along with advice and resources for getting help and treatment. Submitted by Colleen from Rehab Center.
- Business Ideas For People With Disabilities – Advice and resources for people with disabilities getting into business. Submitted by the students at Different With Dignity Community Center.
- Disability Accommodation Guide – Cost-effective steps to make your home disability friendly. Submitted by Denise Morgan.
- Disability Benefits Guide – How disability benefits work in the USA and how to apply for them. Submitted by Gabrielle from The Simple Dollar.
- Guide To Finding Credible Medical Information & Advice – How to find and evaluate the best medical advice online. Submitted by Natalie from Forever Curious.
- Home Improvement Assistance – Checklists and financial assistance for modifying homes for elderly and disabled people. Submitted by Natalie from Forever Curious.
- Home Modifications and Selling Your Home – Advice on alterations to the home to assist disabled people, and their potential impact on the home’s resale value. Submitted by Natalie from Forever Curious.
- Home Solutions to Cope with Sensory Processing Issues – Advice to help people at home who have conditions affecting sight, hearing, touch, smell or taste. Submitted by Natalie from Forever Curious.
- Keeping Individuals Safe Around Construction – Advice for elderly and disabled people for safely navigating areas where construction is taking place, and advice for the owners of such sites. Submitted by Natalie from Forever Curious.
- Moving Advice for Seniors & People with Disabilities – How to prepare for moving house when you’re elderly or disabled. Submitted by Natalie from Forever Curious.
- Rental Housing Rights for Disabled Tenants – How to protect your rights as a disabled tenant when renting property. Submitted by Natalie from Forever Curious.
- Scholarship Search Platforms – The Best Of – Comprehensive review of online platforms that allow you to search for scholarships. It also includes general information and tips for scholarship applications. Submitted by Gabrielle from The Simple Dollar.
- Tutoring for Students with Learning Disabilities – In-depth guide to help students with disabilities who may have a harder time in a larger classroom setting, examining the methods of tutoring and resources that are available. Submitted by Glenda from Reviews.com.
- Dräger Lienert – “Developer and distributer of ergonomically optimized assistive technology workplace solutions for people who are blind or partially sighted.” Based in Germany, with products sold internationally by U-R-Able in Canada.
- Implaser – “Manufacturer of photoluminescent security signs and signalling systems for installation in all types of buildings and industries. We also manufacture special signalling for road and railway tunnels, combining photoluminescent LED hybrid technology to perfection.” Based in Spain.”
- Quick Shoelace – “An elastic lace that doesn’t need to tie, you just stretch it and clip it. On one end of the lace is a ring that you just clip on the metal pieces. All the parts are replaceable and can be disassembled very quickly.” Based in Slovenia.
- Rehadapt – “The world’s leading manufacturer of mounting assistive technology.” Based in Germany.
- Zoomax – “Committed to developing assistive technology for people with vision impairments, with a full line of low vision products including handheld, portable and desktop video magnifiers.” Based in China, with worldwide distributors.