This page contains a variety of American sight loss resources that you may find useful. The links are divided into headings if that helps you jump through the page.
If you have any links you think I should add here, feel free to contact me.
- American Council Of The Blind – “Strives to increase the independence, security, equality of opportunity, and quality of life for all blind and visually impaired people.”
- American Foundation For The Blind – “The mission is to create a world of no limits for people who are blind or visually impaired. We mobilize leaders, advance understanding, and champion impactful policies and practices using research and data.”
- National Federation Of The Blind – “The ultimate purpose of the National Federation of the Blind is the complete integration of the blind into society on a basis of equality.”
- Ophthalmic Edge – “Useful courses for physicians and ophthalmic professionals, plus practical tips and encouraging advice for patients living with vision loss.”
- San Diego Center For The Blind – “Our mission is to help any adult with blindness or vision impairment to reach their highest level of independence. This is achieved by offering psychological counseling, training and rehabilitation, and community education and outreach programs.”
- Utah Council Of The Blind – “Membership organization made up primarily of blind and visually impaired individuals who seek to improve the lives of people with various degrees of vision loss. We are a state affiliate of the American Council of the Blind (ACB).”
- Audio Description Project – “Our mission is to promote and advocate for the use of high-quality Audio Description in television, movies, performing arts, museums, educational materials and other venues.”
- Audio Description Associates – “Provides recorded tours for museum exhibits, training for professional describers, guides and librarians, and description for live and recorded events and television.”
- Choice Magazine Listening – “A nonprofit organization that provides audio recordings of memorable articles, stories, interviews, essays and poems from outstanding current magazines, completely free of charge, to blind, visually impaired, physically disabled or dyslexic adults.”
- Newsreel Magazine – “A monthly audio magazine offering three hours of helpful info and inspiration in the voices of its members. Topics include technology, travel tips, books, recipes, personal experiences, sports and more.”
- Low Vision Internet Gateway – “Your starting point to access information on the World Wide Web related to the fields of low vision rehabilitation and blindness.”
- Resources for Travellers With a Vision Impairment – A comprehensive list of resources to help visually impaired travellers and their companions with planning travel, understanding your rights, travel tips, etc.
- Telephone Reader Program App – “Allows qualified patrons who are blind or visually impaired in the Southern California area to sign up for free telephone access to national and local news, advertisements, magazines, Old Time Radio Shows and so much more in both English and Spanish.”