This page contains a variety of American disability resources that you may find useful. The links are divided into headings if that helps you jump through the page.
News & Media
- Ability Magazine – “The leading publication for health, disability and human potential. Strives to change public perception of what it means to have a disability and focuses on ability.”
- Disability Today Network – “People, Partners, Products and Places. The Network – connects today’s disability community in a new way.”
- Disabled World – “We publish news articles and information received from disability related organizations and Government departments around the world that are of interest to persons with disabilities, carers, and the general public.”
- Enabling The Future – “The e-NABLE Community is an amazing group of individuals from all over the world who are using their 3D printers to create free 3D printed hands and arms for those in need of an upper limb assistive device.”
- Simple Laces – “Easy and simple to install, fasten and unfasten without knots, twists or extra hardware and will fit in any shoe that has eyelets, holes or loops. It only takes one finger to fasten and unfasten. Ideal for people who have short or long term injuiries or disabilities that hinder their ability to fasten current lacing systems.”
- U-R-Able – “Simple to use and maintain for those with adjusted abilities, our products are designed and developed by blind workers for blind workers, and are embraced by industries where quality, productivity, and timeliness are the top business demands.”
- A Group For Me – “Connect to others sharing the same medical issues or life concerns for scheduled support groups online.” Submitted by Dr. Gina Ghods, Press Officer of the company.
- Cerebral Palsy Group – “We are here to provide information and support so that we may help provide resources and education to those affected by cerebral palsy..” Submitted by Alison, the Advocacy Director of the group.
- Cleaner Indoor Air – “There are millions of Americans who report allergic, immunologic, asthmatic and neurological reactions to perfumes, colognes, chemicals and synthetic fragrances. The CIA Campaign strives to educate medical facilities, businesses and churches on how to create a less threatening environment for this growing number of people.” Submitted by Natalie from Forever Curious.
- Different With Dignity – “We empower students and professionals to promote diversity and unity throughout the world. This includes providing digital resources to educate people about the disabled.” Submitted by Cassandra from the organisation.
- Disability Advocates of Kent County – “Works alongside people with disabilities as they seek to lead self-directed lives and to advocate for accessible and welcoming communities.”
- Disability Visibility Project – “An online community dedicated to recording, amplifying, and sharing disability media and culture. The DVP is also a community partnership with StoryCorps, a national oral history organization. Our aim is to create disabled media that is intersectional, multi-modal, and accessible.”
- Invisible Disabilities Organization – “We are passionate about providing awareness that invisible illness, pain and disabilities are very real! Our mission is to encourage, educate and connect people and organizations touched by illness, pain and disability around the globe.”
- National Organization For Rare Disorders – “Patient advocacy organization dedicated to individuals with rare diseases and the organizations that serve them. Committed to the identification, treatment, and cure of rare disorders.”
- New Hampshire Disability & Public Health Project – “Our goal is to improve the health and quality of life of people with disabilities in NH by strengthening the capacity of the state’s public health programs and initiatives to include people with intellectual disabilities and mobility limitations.”
- Addiction Treatment For Individuals with Disabilities – Information on the dangers of substance abuse and the risks for disabled people, along with advice and resources for getting help and treatment. Submitted by Colleen from Rehab Center.
- Business Ideas For People With Disabilities – Advice and resources for people with disabilities getting into business. Submitted by the students at Different With Dignity Community Center.
- College Resources for Disabled Students – Tips for prospective students, government resources, best colleges and scholarships, assistive technology and apps, and disability justice organisations. Submitted by Victoria David from Dealspotr.
- Disability Accommodation Guide – Cost-effective steps to make your home disability friendly. Submitted by Denise Morgan.
- Disability Benefits Guide – How disability benefits work in the USA and how to apply for them. Submitted by Gabrielle from The Simple Dollar.
- Guide To Finding Credible Medical Information & Advice – How to find and evaluate the best medical advice online. Submitted by Natalie from Forever Curious.
- Home Improvement Assistance – Checklists and financial assistance for modifying homes for elderly and disabled people. Submitted by Natalie from Forever Curious.
- Home Modifications and Selling Your Home – Advice on alterations to the home to assist disabled people, and their potential impact on the home’s resale value. Submitted by Natalie from Forever Curious.
- Home Solutions to Cope with Sensory Processing Issues – Advice to help people at home who have conditions affecting sight, hearing, touch, smell or taste. Submitted by Natalie from Forever Curious.
- Keeping Individuals Safe Around Construction – Advice for elderly and disabled people for safely navigating areas where construction is taking place, and advice for the owners of such sites. Submitted by Natalie from Forever Curious.
- Moving Advice for Seniors & People with Disabilities – How to prepare for moving house when you’re elderly or disabled. Submitted by Natalie from Forever Curious.
- Rental Housing Rights for Disabled Tenants – How to protect your rights as a disabled tenant when renting property. Submitted by Natalie from Forever Curious.
- Scholarship Search Platforms – The Best Of – Comprehensive review of online platforms that allow you to search for scholarships. It also includes general information and tips for scholarship applications. Submitted by Gabrielle from The Simple Dollar.
- Tutoring for Students with Learning Disabilities – In-depth guide to help students with disabilities who may have a harder time in a larger classroom setting, examining the methods of tutoring and resources that are available. Submitted by Glenda from Reviews.com.