This page contains a variety of links related to assistive technology that you may find useful. They are divided into headings if that helps you jump through the page. Please also check out my other links pages dedicated to bloggers I follow, disability information and London.
Other bloggers have also posted their own links, such as Holly’s resources for blind and visually impaired people. Please do check them out, as they will contain resources and links that I haven’t mentioned here. It’s also thanks to them that I was inspired to do my own list in the first place.
The links are divided into the following sections:
- General Technology Information
- Gadgets & Aids – Sub-divided into:
- Daily Living
- Magnifiers & Text-To-Speech
- Mobile Phones
- Software – Sub-divided into:
- Screen Reading & Magnification
- Text-To-Speech Apps
- Object Recognition & Camera Apps
- Location Apps
- Other Apps
- Entertainment & Education – Sub-divided into:
- Audio Description
General Technology Information
- Ability Net – Accessible services and support.
- Apple Vis – Information for disabled users of Apple products.
- Cool Blind Tech – News and reviews about assistive technology.
Gadgets & Aids
- All Formats Transcription Services – Commercial company that converts documents into braille, large print and audio to make them fully accessible.
- Cobolt Systems Ltd – Audible technology to help the blind.
- RNIB Shop – Various gadgets and other useful items to assist the visually impaired.
Magnifiers & Text-To-Speech
- Anyview – Portable and desktop video magnifiers.
- Associated Optical – Electronic and hand-held magnifiers.
- BAUM Retec – Braille displays and video magnifiers.
- Enhanced Vision – Electronic magnifiers.
- GiveVision – Have developed a headset called SightPlus that can help visually people see the world around them better.
- Humanware – Handheld magnifiers, desktop CCTVs, braille notetakers, Victor Stream audio players, and more.
- Olympus – Cameras and audio devices.
- Optelec – Magnifiers and text to speech readers.
- Optima – Magnifiers, CCTVs and monoculars.
- OrCam – A camera that attaches to your glasses, which speaks back text that you point to, and recognises faces and products. Check out Holly’s review – Me and My OrCam for a user’s experience.
- Pamtrad – Electronic magnifiers, text to speech devices and other useful gadgets.
- Professional Vision Services – Video magnifiers, software and braille devices.
- VisionAid – Low vision aids and lighting solutions for the visually impaired
- ADI Access – Their Roommate product gives audio assisted navigation of disabled toilets.
- Advantage Carbon Fibre Canes – Long canes to assist with mobility.
- Live Braille – Navigation devices for the visually impaired.
- Ultracane – A hi-tech long cane with ultrasound assistance.
- Doro – Smartphones designed for the visually impaired.
- Fuss Free Phones – Smartphone featuring a button that connects you to an operator, who can assist you with calls, text messages, internet searches, etc.
- Synapptic – Smartphones designed for the visually impaired.
- Eone Timepieces – Uniquely designed watches that allow you to tell the time by touch.
- Talking Watch Shop – Talking watches from Verbalise Ltd.
Screen Reading & Magnification
- Ai Squared – Seller of Zoomtext and Window Eyes, and large print keyboards.
- Computer Room Services – Software and hardware items to assist the visually impaired.
- Dolphin Computer Access – Provides Supernova, Guide, EasyConverter and EasyReader software.
- NVDA Screen Reader – Free screen reader for Windows.
- Sight And Sound – Seller of JAWS, Zoomtext and various other items of software and hardware.
- Window Eyes For Microsoft Office Users – Offers a free copy of Window Eyes to visually impaired people who have a licensed copy of Microsoft Office 2010 or later.
- KNFB Reader – An app that converts printed text to speech, by scanning it with your device’s camera.
- Prizmo – Scanning app with Optical Character Recognition (OCR) and speech output, to convert printed material to readable text on your device.
- RoboBraille – A free website that converts files and web pages to accessible formats.
- Voice Dream Reader – Converts text to speech for various file types, including Word and PDF.
- Voice Dream Writer – Allows you to proofread your documents using text to speech assistance.
Object Recognition & Camera Apps
- Aipoly – An app that describes objects and colours to the visually impaired in real-time.
- Be My Eyes – Connects blind people with sighted helpers over video connections. This allows the blind person to point their camera at something and receive descriptions and assistance as necessary, talking to a real person in real time.
- LookTel Money Reader – Recognises and describes currency to you using speech.
- LookTel Recognizer – Another app that recognizes and describes objects to you using speech.
- Selfiex – Lets you take selfies using the rear camera on your phone, giving you audible instructions to guide you.
- Tap Tap See – Take a photo of something and this app will speak a description of it to you.
- Ariadne GPS – A GPS app that is compatible with Voiceover, making maps and directions accessible to the blind.
- Blindsquare – Another accessible app that helps you find places of interest nearby.
- Apple Accessibility – All Apple products have features like Voiceover, magnification and more built-in, so you don’t need to buy any extra software.
- VIA App Directory – An accessible app that gives a comprehensive selection of many other accessible apps.
- LookTel Voiceover Tutorial – This is an app that will teach you how to use Voiceover.
Entertainment & Education
- RNIB Talking Books – You can download books using RNIB Overdrive and listen to them on many devices, or you can borrow books on Daisy CDs and USB sticks using the physical Talking Books service. Either way, membership of RNIB’s library is now completely free. You can see further information about Overdrive by watching Emily Davison’s video (which was recorded before the membership charge was dropped).
- Audible – Audiobooks you can buy and download, either individually or through special membership deals.
- Calibre Audio Library – Subscription-free service of unabridged audio books.
- ISIS Publishing – Audiobooks for sale on standard CDs and MP3 CDs.
- Talking News Federation – Talking newspapers.
- General Information – Wikipedia, Audio Description Association (UK), RNIB (UK), TV Help Audio Description (UK), Audio Description Project (USA) and Audio Description Associates (USA)
- Videos – James Rath, Fashioneyesta, Annie Elaney, Abby Sams, Jessica King, Fields Of Vision and myself.
- V & Films – BBC iPlayer, Channel 4, Sky TV, iTunes and Netflix.
- Theatre, Cinema & Museums – Vocaleyes, Accessible Screenings, Mind’s Eye, Official London Theatre, and Your Local Cinema.